- 01-Feb-2016 to 15-May-2016 (EST)
- Washington, DC, USA
- Full Time
Health/Dental/Vision; 403b; paid vacation, sick time, holiday; free onsite gym
The Press/Communications Associate is RAINN's primary media liaison and is responsible for leading RAINN's media outreach. The Press/Communications Associate will help shape messages to promote awareness of RAINN programs and mission to the public and key influencers.
RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network) is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization and was named on of "America's 100 Best Charities" by Worth magazine. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE and online.rainn.org) in partnership with more than 1,100 local sexual assault service providers across the country and operates the DoD Safe Helpline for the Department of Defense. In 2015, the Online Hotline expanded to offer services in Spanish at rainn.org/es. RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, help victims and ensure that rapists are brought to justice.
RAINN is the leading national resource on issues related to sexual violence for television, radio, print and online news outlets -- as well as policymakers, law enforcement and sexual assault service professionals. We work extensively with the media and entertainment industries to provide vital information to millions of Americans each month about sexual violence prevention, recovery and prosecution.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Generate visibility and usage of RAINN's programs, such as the National Sexual Assault Hotline and public policy priorities.
- Respond to press inquiries and assist members of the media with research and expert commentary.
- Identify and cultivate new relationships with members of the media, including online media and daytime talk shows.
- Research and identify story opportunities and pitch media outlets.
- Monitor news relevant to RAINN's mission and pursue opportunities for new actions.
- Lead development and implementation of media outreach strategies, including earned and online/new media for all projects, campaigns and initiatives.
- Draft written materials including press releases, talking points, and monthly newsletters.
- Create content for rainn.org, and RAINN's various social media platforms.
- Manage RAINN Speakers Bureau, including coordination with members on speaking and media opportunities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Specific Requirements:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
- Bachelor's degree, preferable degree in a field related to Communications or Public Relations.
- Minimum three years of media relations experience.
- Deep understanding of the changing media landscape and outreach through new media platforms.
- Demonstrated success with national media outlets.
- Strong verbal communication skills and high comfort level for making cold-calls.
- Exceptional written communication skills and high attention to detail.
- Must be articulate, organized and able to multi-task in a dynamic, fast-changing, entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent time management, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Must be able to perform with minimal supervision and function well in a cooperative team environment. S/he must possess the ability to effectively relate to a wide variety of people and demonstrate creativity in addressing assignments and problem solving.
- Must be willing to work outside of office hours pending media requests.
- Agency experience a plus.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the essential functions, responsibilities and/or requirements.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is based on experience of applicant. Benefits include health insurance, casual office environment and flex time.
****NOTE**** NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Only completed applications will be considered. Please submit cover letter with salary history and requirements; resume; 3 writing samples and 3 references. Send to: VP of Communications at https://rainn.applicantpro.com/jobs/