The Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network is the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization. RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE and the Online Hotline at rainn.org and publicizes the hotlines' free, confidential services; educates the public about sexual assault; and leads national efforts to prevent sexual assault, improve serves to survivors and ensure that rapists are brought to justice. This position is to work on the DoD Safe Helpline, which provides support services to members of the military community affected by sexual assault. RAINN operates the Safe Helpline under contract from DoD's Sexual Assault Prevention Response Office (SAPRO).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist callers to the telephone Safe Helpline.
- Assist hotline users through online chats.
- Provide referrals through Safe Helpline Texting service.Utilize crisis intervention best practices, including safety planning, brainstorming, and listening skills, to provide compassionate support to helpline users (online and phone helpline).
- Gather necessary information from Safe Helpline users and provide accurate referral services to the DoD community.
- Maintain knowledge of DoD SAPRO and other military policies and protocols and adhere to same.
- Employ knowledge on eligibility requirements for Veteran Affairs.
- Demonstrate specialized Safe Helpline knowledge and sexual assault service skills.
- Enter call/session information into database.
- Complete session assessments and other data collection tools.
- Perform call-throughs to audit military responder database.
- Complete end of shift session assessment and other reports as assigned.
- Complete new and revised trainings on best practices, policies and protocols.
- Perform responsibilities relating to follow-up care as assigned.
- Work a minimum of two (2) federal holidays per year.
- Work a minimum of sixteen (16) hours per month.
- Attend monthly in-service staff meetings.
- Maintain a clean and orderly workspace.
- All other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge skill and/or ability required:
- Must possess excellent English-language communication skills (oral and written). Possess ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with visitors, general public and other employees within the organization.
- Must be familiar with instant messaging.
- Must have basic computer and database proficiency.
- Must type a minimum of 35 wpm with accuracy.
- Ability to work well under pressure and maintain composure during stressful situations; ability to handle shifting and multiple priorities.
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a wide range of situations.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions – written and oral.
- Ability to exercise good judgment when faced with complex decisions.
- Resiliently positive and energetic attitude, with the ability to successfully work on a team and independently.
- Willingness to work a non-traditional schedule, which will include evenings and/or weekends/holidays.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to work on-site at RAINN's office and to attend meetings there as required.
- Must be comfortable discussing issues surrounding sexual violence.
- Must complete a criminal background check (administered by RAINN).
- Veterans: those with Dept. of Veterans Affairs or VA MST Coordinator experience will be given priority.
- Crisis hotline/intervention experience.
- Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology or related field.
- Experience with military populations
The following physical activities are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 80% of the time.
- The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment, etc.
- Regularly required to talk or hear.
- Must be able to operate a computer (typing 35-45 wpm with accuracy) and other office productivity machinery (e.g., copier and fax machine).
- Must have vision correctable to a level where individual can operate a computer; visualize text on a computer monitor.
There are no harmful environmental conditions that are present for this position. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
7 :00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.; 1:00 7 p.m.; 7 p.m.– 11:00 p.m.; 8 p.m.-12 midnight; and 11:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the essential functions, responsibilities and/or requirements.
TO APPLY: PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME, COVER LETTER AND SHIFT PREFERENCE TO SHIFT MANAGER@ HTTPS://RAINN.APPLICANTPRO.COM/JOBS INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS.